Thursday 16 February 2012

Holiday cottages at Saltmarshe near Howden

Last night I was the speaker at the Laxton WI and had a very enjoyable time. The meeting was thrown open to any interested villagers and around 50 attended. I had gathered together around 150 old pictures of Laxton, Saltmarshe, Sandhall and Skelton and put them together into a Powerpoint presentation.

There was a mixture of scenery and familiar faces but of course the most popular were the old school pictures. The noise rose to a crescendo as those who were infants in 1955 saw themselves in short trousers or corduroy pinafores.

Afterwards we all ate butterfly buns and fruit loaf and cheese [the latter a traditional Yorkshire pairing]  and drank cups of tea.

I was talking to my neighbour who has two holiday cottages and provides bed and breakfast on the family farm. In fact she was a few minutes late as she was settling in some guests.

I met some  of her American guests last year who combined a UK holiday with researching their family history. It is only a short walk along the riverbank to where I live and I was able to find them some information on their family from my resources as well as suggesting what they should look for in the archives at Beverley and York.

I have added a link to Appletree Cottages and can recommend them to anyone wanting a peaceful break with stunning views of the River Ouse.

Here is a picture of the village shop in Front Street, Laxton which I showed last night.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely postcard presumably showing Tom George Allerton (1887-1955), son of Matthew Wild Allerton. He appears in Kellys 1913 directory as sub-postmaster and shopkeeper at Laxton Post Office. They later moved to Hornsea. Tom's grandmother was Elizabeth Wild whose first husband was my GGG grandfather Thomas Ward. She later married Henry Allerton. I have more information if anyone would like it.
    Robert Ward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas Robinson5 May 2023 at 11:17

      I know your comment was a few years ago, but I believe Thomas ward was a ancestor of mine according to my father. My grandmother who I never knew was Mary ward. Another relative of mine produced a family tree, but sadly she is no longer with us and I have mislaid the information she passed on to me.

      Delete
  2. Glad you like the picture. I understand that Tom Allerton sold out to William Thompson around 1929 and that William's son Maurice later ran the shop and post office for many years. Now sadly both shop and post office are gone and the premises are a private house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a row of Allerton graves, including Tom and his wife, at Laxton to the left of the path not far from the gate. Tom's two daughters, Alice Mary Maidment and Marguerite (Molly) Allerton, are also buried in the churchyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I currently live at the old post office. Does anyone know when it was built or any history on how the buildings developed? Seems to have changed alot at the back over time.
    Thanks, Dave Smith

    ReplyDelete