Thursday 3 May 2012

Goole boxing pictures

I was contacted by a friend who had read my previous post about the Smithson family of Goole. She was particularly interested in the fact that at least two of the family were well-known boxers and has sent two pictures of Sam Smithson.

She has also sent me some  other pictures of local boxers which were taken by Goole photographers but as yet we do not know who they all are. The only other Goole boxer I have any knowledge of was called Joe Carroll  but I would not know whether he is pictured here.

Tommy Gilchrist on the right and officials

Goole boxer

Another Goole boxer

Sam Smithson

Lance Corporal Eric Lawton KOYLI

Sam Smithson and man in suit















































 If you can help identify any of these men do please get in touch.


2 comments:

  1. Hi susan im David goodwin , Sam Smithsons grandson, if you would like to know more please get in touch drgoodwin@btinternet.com.I have several original bill posters and lots of imformation on my grandad. He was yorkshire light weight champion and fought and beat both belgium and irish champions. sorry for been vague but im tired after work if you would like to know more please contact me thanks David Goodwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,the boxer in the second and third pictures is my grandad Eric kid Lawton.

    ReplyDelete