Monday 1 December 2014

Laxton photos

Now Christmas is around the corner I really think it is time to bring in my geraniums. Although today is the first day of December I still have a nasturtium plant straggling all over the seat outside the back door and I am loathe to pull it up as the frost will surely soon nip it off.

Everywhere is muddy and I am trying to feed the chickens on a different patch each morning as they trample the ground into a mini quagmire. I am having a rest from history for the next few days as we re-decorate the spare bedroom ready for Christmas visitors. We have a new carpet coming on Friday and so tomorrow I hope to get a coat of gloss onto the skirting boards.

My WEA classes have all now finished until January and we all enjoyed a meal together last Thursday. I went to the Borthwick Institute yesterday to look at some wills on microfilm - very annoyingly the  machine which lets you top up the money on your card so you can use the copying machine was broken. The only way round this was to do a lot of transcribing and so it took much longer than we thought.

I think the dark nights mean that people's thoughts turn to  working on family and local histtory history. Recently I have been looking at the Parrott family of Saltmarshe, the Leaks of East Yorkshire and the histories of Rawcliffe Bridge paper mill, the brewery at West Cowick and  families who worked at Ousefleet Hall.

I  am working too on my own history of Saltmarshe and have just bought three postcards of nearby Laxton and one of Carlton Towers sent when it was a First World War hospital.

It is a good job that TV is so boring at the moment as I am not tempted away from the computer - I think the TV companies are saving everything up for Christmas. And as for the plots on the Archers - every night is a new storyline. I might have to give up listening as it is now a long way from being An Everyday Story of Countryfolk!

Finally I am including a picture of SS Broomfleet of Goole which was lost on 13th December 1933, almost 80 years ago. I am hoping to write more of what happened in my next post.

SS Broomfleet of Goole

No comments:

Post a Comment