Friday 10 July 2015

Nurse family of Eastrington

It has been a difficult few weeks as my aunt,  Jean Sellers, nee Nurse, who was 89, has been ill and then sadly died. The funeral,  this week, in the village church at Eastrington was poignant but also comforting.

This is the church where members of our Nurse family have been baptised, married and buried for over three centuries. Their names are on gravestones outside the church door, on the church wall, celebrating the fact that my great grandfather was churchwarden and on much of the church woodwork which my ancestors made.

My daughter played the organ, as my mother did before her and we had a 'wake' in the local village hall where we reminisced about my aunt's life and enjoyed countless cups of tea and pieces of pork pie and cake.

We shall miss her but she enjoyed her  life as a teacher at Gilberdyke School,  as a gardener, as a traveller in retirement and as part of the village community.

Jean Sellers of Eastrington with Basset hound Oscar

No comments:

Post a Comment